City Armed Reserve(CAR)
The City Armed Reserve, is one of the key units of Bangalore City Police. It is the armed wing of the City Police to assist the Civil Police in maintenance of Law & order, providing of security to vital installations and VIPs of the city, arranging escorts for prisoners, cash, and important documents.
The City Armed Reserve is headed by an Additional Commissioner of Police who is assisted by 3 Deputy Commissioners of Police.
The City Armed Reserve is divided into 3 units:C.A.R. HeadquartersC.A.R. SouthC.A.R. North
Each unit is headed by Deputy Commissioner of Police assisted by Asst. Commissioners of Police and other staff, the total strength of CAR is about 4000 police personnel.The main function of CAR is to provide:
- Escort for Prisoners
- Guards to VVIPs & VIPs - Governor, Chief Minister, Ministers etc.
- Guards to vital installations - A.I.R, Doordarshan, Central Stamp Depot etc.
- Guards & Escort to visiting foreign dignitaries
- Security to Honourable Judges of Courts
- Guards to Banks
- Escort for aviation fuel
- Escort for cash remittances
- Escort for Arms and Ammunition
- Striking force for maintaining Law & Order
- Gunmen to Ministers
- Motor Transport workshop, fleet management and operation
- Dog Squads for Crime and Bomb Detection
- Mounted Company for ceremonial and Law & Order maintenance